Friday, April 8, 2011

Trevor Paglen response

Interesting quote:
I found many different things that Paglen said to be very interesting. What Paglen said during his questions portion was "If I'm interested in something than there are 20,000 people interested in it too. They just don't have the time to research it." This was great. I think its a great reason to make art. I think that people want art to have more meaning. Paglen does not think that his interest is anymore complex than anyone else's. He said that he considers himself a regular guy. therefore, if he is interested in these questions than there are surely to be many more people interested in these questions. I think this applies to almost all art. People are all basically the same. If you are making artwork about anything there are many people in the world interested in it.
Three Words:
secrecy, government, research
Interesting work:
I found the most interest in the way that Paglen showed his work, not just the artwork itself. At first I thought it was strange that he was just showing us different pieces and not ever really explaining anything further. Then when asked about conspiracy theories he said that he doesn't believe in them. That he just wants to show the research in itself. He just wants to let the information hang. I like that his artwork was interspersed throughout his lecture. It was hard to determine what was his artwork and what was just research. So this made me think of researching in an artistic choice. The time spent researching these secret government plans was just as interesting or engaging as his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment