Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Idea Post #7: Scale

Julia Fullerton-Batten, Girl Under Motorway
Scale Model
Since I am making different sets and using cutout characters in place of real people I think I should consider models and scale models.
Scale Model: A three-dimensional representation of an object or structure having all parts in the same proportion of their true size.

This definition works better for architectural scales and models for homes or buildings. There is some overlap for my project as well. Dollhouses and other toys like toy cars can also fit under the realm of scale models. I am not using any of these objects physically in my work but I think I am referencing them in a way. I am definitely using scale and trying to play with scale to create works that trick your mind. By using scale and the camera as a tool I am trying to trick the viewer into thinking that they are looking at real scenarios. In my work I've brought my characters into the real world and that plays with scale in a different way because they most definitely do not fit in our world. I think of work by Julia Fullerton Batton's work Teenage Stories and how she uses models/created scenes and real people interacting with the models. I haven't really considered using live people in my work but I wonder what doors that would open for my work.



No comments:

Post a Comment