Thursday, October 28, 2010

Idea Post #8: Fantasy

image from: http://www.filmcritic.com/features/assets_c/2010/04/Potter_Magic_560x330-thumb-560xauto-28612.jpg (sorry I had to do it!)
Fantasy
I've never labeled my work before as fantasy seeing as I was taking things from real life and just moving them around but the more I research fantasy, the more I am covering the same situations that fantasy artist cover. "...the Arthurian legend and medieval romance to the epic poetryof the Divine Comedy, fantastical adventures featuring brave heroes and heroines, deadly monsters, and secret arcane realms..." are how story telling uses fantasy. And this is how I am using fantasy. I am starting to create my own stories within each frame of photographs and a narrative through a series of photographs. I'm creating villains and protagonist. There is a setting for these photographs that isn't exactly real but a made up situation.
Fantasy is a crucial part of growing up and child development. "Affective and cognitive processes both contribute to creativity and fantasy responses and play behavior." (pg. 142) This means that children need fantasy and creativity to help their mind grow. It allows their play activity to expand in many ways and therefore their minds will grow from playing. In my work, I feel that I am playing, using fantasy and dealing with children. I am trying to think like a child to create this work. I try to think about what I was afraid of when I was little. I am creating scenes from childhood and show how they are distorted. Fantasy and play are prevalent through my work. I feel like sometimes acting childish is creating something I didn't know I could make.

Butcher, James Neal, and Charles Donald Spielberger. "Assessment of Cognitive Affective Interaction In Children: Creativity, Fantasy, and Play Research." Advances in Personality Assessment. Hillsdale, NJ: L. Erlbaum Associates, 1987. Print.
"Fantasy." Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. 27 Oct. 2010. Web. 28 Oct. 2010. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment