Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Laurel Nakadate response

Laurel Nakadate

Interesting quote:
Well everything that Nakadate said during this lecture was very interesting to me.
"The world is great-trust it."
This is how she described her filmmaking process. She went to shoot Stay the Same Never Change in Kansas and for many of the shoots she hadn't seen the locations until that day of the shoot. She said that for so many of the location they were just perfect and worked out so well for her. This is inspiring to me to see what she created with little manipulation. I find in my practice I try to do the same thing. I try to let my life go with it. I try to let my work go with what is going on. Or at least I try. I try to be more free.

Three words:
Futile, travel, truth

Most interesting aspect of artist:
I think Nakadate's attitude was the most interesting part to me. She was humorous and serious at the same time. She had conviction with all of the work she made but also had conviction in the silliness of her work. She understood what had to be done. I love that she was interested in the fabrication of recording events. That life has importance after it has been recorded in some fashion. She recognizes the power of photographing or recording an event and the power lies within the camera. She is one of the first artist to say that she finds comfort in her camera and I actually understand. I have not really felt this comfort before. However, the way that she describes it makes more sense to me than it ever has to me.

Most Compelling work:
Once again I found all of her work special and great for one reason or the other. For her work that she did with strangers she describes the situation as: "Anyone that would spend time with anyone at anytime is beautiful." YES. Human connection is a beautiful thing. The fact that complete strangers want to collaborate with her and create art with her is so beautiful. That people everywhere are just looking for connection to others. Nakadate has found so many different ways to reach out to others in her work. It is touching and tender to me. I don't find her work exploitive because the people in her videos just represent what all humans want and live for.






I was able to talk to Nakadate for just a few minutes after her lecture and it was great. She is half Japanese too and she knew I was right from meeting me. Aw best birthday ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment