Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Alex Singh response

"Art is mystified."
Alexandre Singh's lecture was interesting. It was the first time this semester that the artist did a performance as well as a lecture. His performance was the most interesting for me. He talked about dreams and our consciousness with such theatrics that I was involved and captivated the whole time. I loved that I was believing and understanding his logic to the lecture but in the end I was wondering, Is this true? Are the facts given at the performance/lecture truth? Then I thought about it some more and I realized that it didn't matter to me. I was enthralled with the story.
In a lot of Singh's work, he wanted to have the stories come in on each other. He wanted the stories to come full circle. I liked that in his performance that he was talking about dreams and association and as we are sitting in this dark room watching him perform was like being in a dream. You see the associations and thought patterns just as you would if you were dreaming. But its Singh's dream that you have encountered. You follow him as he puts up different images and the words he tells.
Also I wondered about the relation to dreams and Science Fiction. He brought up 2001: A Space Odyssey and A.I. in his lecture and I was wondering the influence. For me I think that most of science fiction is created within dreams. This was just something that I noticed and maybe its obvious.

No comments:

Post a Comment