Monday, November 8, 2010

Artist Post #10: Michel Gondry

Film still from Science of Sleep

White Stripes' Fell in Love with A Girl video directed by Gondry

Bjork's Human Behavior music video directed by Gondry
film still from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Michel Gondry
"Michel Gondry (born May 8, 1963) is a French film, commercial and music video director and an Academy Award-winningscreenwriter. He is noted for his inventive visual style and manipulation of mise en scène."
-wikipedia
Michel Gondry is a big influence to my work originally. I am interested in Michel Gondry's appreciation for in camera, low budget manipulation instead of CGI. I also like to do many tricks within the camera rather than using post production as a means to an end. Gondry creates sets and interesting spaces with cardboard cutouts like in Science of Sleep, where the main character's dream world is seen this way. I enjoy making art in this fashion. I enjoy the endless cutting and repositioning of characters to create a work that is my own entirely. It is a world that I see and can relate to. "The way I work, you can't just fix it in post-production" (Michel Gondry via Telegraph.co.uk) this idea is exactly how I feel about my own work. I hardly work on the the computer. I like making of the photograph not necessarily the taking of the photograph. Gondry works in this way as well.
The other aspect of Gondry's work that appeals to me is the content. Two movies that really inspire me are Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Science of Sleep. The first is all about memory and the erasure of your memory. The second is all about dreaming and sleeping and what happens in our brains when we are unconscious to it's workings. Both of these movies and their scientific backgrounds really inspired my work. With Eternal Sunshine I realized that the destruction of these memories wouldn't be as drastic as a crumbling building but as simple as strong directional lighting and blur. His elaborate camera tricks and sets that he creates are so simple yet complicated. Everything looks so easy as you are watching the movie but then the sets that go with each scene is incredible to me. He creates such a deep interesting world.

LINKS:
Daly, Steven. "Michel Gondry: the Mad Scientist of Cinema - Telegraph." Telegraph.co.uk - Telegraph Online, Daily Telegraph and Sunday Telegraph - Telegraph. 27 Jan. 2008. Web. 08 Nov. 2010. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/3670796/Michel-Gondry-the-mad-scientist-of-cinema.html.
"Michel Gondry." Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. Web. 08 Nov. 2010. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Gondry.

No comments:

Post a Comment