Monday, November 15, 2010

Repost idea blog #9: Decapitaion


Decapitation:
(from Latin, caput, capita, meaning head) is the separation of the head from the body. Beheading typically refers to the act of intentional decapitation, e.g., as a means of murder or execution; it may be accomplished, for example, with an axe, sword, knife, wire, or by means of a guillotine. Ritualistic decapitation after execution by some other means, sometimes followed by public display of the severed head, has also been common throughout history.

It has come up with my meetings with Tom before and again in my midterm critique. It was something that I had slight interest in but when others were genuinely very excited about the idea of introducing strange situations such as decapitated heads, I think I should look into it further. I have seen many paintings depicting a biblical story of Judith beheading Holofernes. It is an act to help save her people from foreign rule. Her act is heroic and deadly. But decapitation for us is just seen as barbaric. What would it take for a child to behead another person. This is something that people want to see in my work. I think there can be a way to integrate something so cruel and present it in a way that doesn't seem as horrifying.


Internet Service Provider Broadband DSL Dial Access Hosting. Web. 23 Nov. 2010. http://www.eskimo.com/~lhowell/bcp1662/apocrypha/judith.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment