Thursday, November 4, 2010

Zoe Beloff response

"A world I have to believe and inhabit."
These words shocked the whole audience. When she said earlier in her lecture that "Albert Grass and I are one in the same," I thought she was saying that she really understood him and knew the ideas he wanted to pursue. Then to realize that she actually is him was just fascinating. I looked over at my friends note page and he had written: "Where is her own work?" I think this is the exact reaction that Zoe Beloff wants to portray with the work she has created. I think that the build up to her latest work about Coney Island were the small steps to the greater work. Her work dealing what is real and what is staged for the camera? Who is hysterical and who isn't? But what difference does it really make? I think her final work was the culmination of all of these thoughts coming in really making you question what is real.
Three words that come to mind when thinking of Beloff's work: reality, technology, history.
These are my original questions:
You have a vast knowledge of art history and the history of photography and film. You also use new techniques and technologies to create your work. How does one influence the other? How do you combine the past with the current to speak to your ideas? Which influences you more: history and past or technology and current?

What are the connections for you between a set stage and history? Are you making a point about how history isn't all that we think it to be? That we are setting the stage for an era when retelling a point in history? Or is there little connection there?
I think she answers all of them.
She says that with her knowledge and research of history drives her to make different works. She then thinks of how she can use the technology of our time to create the work she wants to create. I think that history drives an influences her more than technology.
Beloff talked about a lot that in history or at least dealing with old medical practices, of having a hard time to understand the difference between reality of the illness and staging of the illness for the camera. I think in life that we all play roles and having a disease can give us a part to play in this world. I think that all of history is telling a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment